At Mayo linic, we take the time to listen, to find answers and to provide you the best care.
Learn more. Request an appointment.
hronic constipation is infrequent bowel movements or difficult passage of stools that persists for several weeks or longer.
onstipation is generally described as having fewer than three bowel movements a week.
Though occasional constipation is very common, some people experience chronic constipation that can interfere with their ability to go about their daily tasks. hronic constipation may also cause excessive straining to have a bowel movement and other signs and symptoms.
Treatment for chronic constipation depends on the underlying cause. Though, in some cases, a cause for chronic constipation is never found.
Subscribe to our Digestive Health e-newsletter to stay up to date on digestive health topics.
Sign up now
onstipation most commonly occurs when waste or stool moves too slowly through the digestive tract, causing it to become hard and dry. hronic constipation has many causes:
Blockages in the colon or rectum
Blockages in the colon or rectum may slow or stop stool movement. auses include:
- Anal fissure
- Bowel obstruction
- olon cancer
- Narrowing of the colon (bowel stricture)
- Other abdominal cancer that presses on the colon
- Rectal cancer
Problems with the nerves around the colon and rectum
Neurological problems can affect the nerves that cause muscles in the colon and rectum to contract and move stool through the intestines. auses include:
- Autonomic neuropathy
- Multiple sclerosis
- Parkinson’s disease
- Spinal cord injury
- ინსულტი. როცა სისხლის მიწოდება ნაკლებია ან წყდება ტვინის რომელიმე ნაწილში, ჟანგბადის კონცენტრაცია იკლებს და ამ ნაწილის უჯრედები კვდებიან.
Difficulty with the muscles involved in elimination
Problems with the pelvic muscles involved in having a bowel movement may cause chronic constipation. These problems may include:
- Inability to relax the pelvic muscles to allow for a bowel movement (anismus)
- Pelvic muscles don’t coordinate relaxation and contraction correctly (dyssynergia)
- Weakened pelvic muscles
onditions that affect hormones in the body
Hormones help balance fluids in your body. Diseases and conditions that upset the balance of hormones may lead to constipation, including:
- Overactive parathyroid gland (hyperparathyroidism)
- Underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism)
Signs and symptoms of chronic constipation include:
- Passing fewer than three stools a week
- Having lumpy or hard stools
- Straining to have bowel movements
- Feeling as though there’s a blockage in your rectum that prevents bowel movements
- Feeling as though you can’t completely empty the stool from your rectum
- Needing help to empty your rectum, such as using your hands to press on your abdomen and using a finger to remove stool from your rectum
onstipation may be considered chronic if you’ve experienced two or more of these symptoms for the last three months.
როდის მივმართოთ ექიმს
Make an appointment with your doctor if you experience unexplained and persistent changes in your bowel habits.